Atmospheric Sky



'Atmospheric Sky' 20 x 16 inches.

I had started this oil painting a little while ago and it got forgotten. I was trying to have a more interesting foreground yet when I made changes it was taking distracting the eye from the sky and the drama that was present there.  Finally I put the painting back onto the easel and decided to simply focus on the sky and let the work be about the atmospheric sky. While we have been fortunate for a while not to have many storms there was a spell of moody weather about a week ago that brought in lots of nice skies especially in the early evening when here in the highlands it is still light.  There have certainly been some beautiful skies.  As I type here tonight it is after 8.30 pm and there is a soft pastel blue sky with apricot clouds that have grey and soft edges which threaten rain.

The cherry and the lilac trees are in full bloom and everything looks a lush green elsewhere in the garden. There are many birds too, blackbirds, robins, hedge sparrows, woodpecker that flies in from the pine forest close to our home and finches. There have been other visitors that fly in for the day and then seem to disappear, perhaps they stop here on route to somewhere else.

My art room needs another tidy up, it never seems to stay tidy for long, then I find I need something and then out comes everything!  I am busy tutoring before the holidays begin and then there is a break during July and August with just two afternoons being held for a summer class. I have plenty of paintings to finish, like the 'Atmospheric sky' painting it is time I got them all finished!

I wish you all a happy Spring time and happy painting!

8 comments:

  1. Good morning Lass!... A grand panoramic vista. I love that band of bright land separating that lower darker land and upper bright sky!a nice foil!

    Seems that that we share much the same world of spring changes. Everything in the natural world here repeats what you have described there.

    Even the shift in human activity seems to be breaking out from winter dormancy. It is an exciting time for all living things!

    Enjoy your spring break... and get ready to dive headlong into summer.

    Happy Spring to you... and Good Painting!@
    Warmest regards,
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Bruce nice to hear from you, I was so busy that I didn't get a chance to respond before! I do appreciate your comment and we are now in the midst of a wet summer!

      Delete
  2. Just had the very same problem. But I couldn't make the foreground dark like you did because the sky was rather dark. Love painting and the dark foregroud against lighter sky works to pull the eye towards the sky. Good decision.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jean, hope the painting is going well for you. I notice you have some very smart videos of your work now, well done! Many thanks for visiting and for your comment.

      Delete
  3. Une atmosphère tellement poétique !!
    L'importance du ciel me touche beaucoup,
    car cela raconte une histoire, à chaque
    fois. Je reviendrais te visiter. ELZA

    ReplyDelete
  4. Une atmosphère tellement poétique !!
    L'importance du ciel me touche beaucoup,
    car cela raconte une histoire, à chaque
    fois. Je reviendrais te visiter. ELZA

    ReplyDelete