something different





First two stages of an oil portrait of Monet. I spent an hour and twenty minutes on stage two.

Hello dear painting friends it is still winter here in Scotland with more snow coming soon! Will winter ever leave! However there are afternoons of beautiful blue skies and sunshine which really is so uplifting to see. I have been on a few walks locally and made myself familiar with the reduced size of wood. The wood is actually no more but on the edge they left a few trees for us to walk by. Enough to see squirrels and a deer. Though I haven't heard the owls hooting for a while. It is sad though.

I am tutoring portrait classes and it is for beginners. I used to draw quite a few portraits a few years ago and I also did a couple of pastel portraits too. However once I started with the exercises I found them interesting and I thought it is something I would like to develop. I think we all get easily put off from painting things that are difficult. I have decided that if I keep working for a year on the portraits they should become a little better.  I do love the impressionists and also some of Van Gogh's work so I am focusing on that too.  I did a couple of other portraits from photos but they were only OK. Enough to help my students understand the basics.  I will work a bit more on the Monet portrait later on this week. I look forward to posting my attempts here and sharing the process with you!

Happy painting my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment