Snow painting



I have been busy during January working on my snow painting. It is a big canvas and I am using oil paints. I was painting this subject for the class I run once a week and the tutorial was about getting your tonal values right. Often when painting trees against a sky it can be tricky to get the tonal values right. I very much enjoyed painting this scene and it took me a long time which is a good thing!

I am now working on a river scene which is certainly turning into an epic! and it is still not near completion. But what is the rush! there isn't one. Painting is to be enjoyed!

I hope you are painting too and are not too snowed up or suffering from the storms!

Best wishes
Caroline
Painting in the highlands of Scotland!

2 comments:

  1. Dear Friend Caroline

    Your painting indeed adhere to all of your concerns and objectives perfectly! Tonal control is never more important than when darker forms edge themselves against a lighter space. Skies do present the great challenge to artists... and you have met the challenge wonderfully here.

    We are are both on the same page I think Lass. Speed is not necessarily the best way to work always. Sometimes one has to sacrifice speed for thoughtful interpretation. Speed can kill!

    The composition is absolutely brilliant. Interesting with good proportions balanced with surprises. Bravo!

    Looking forward to seeing that "river epic"!!!

    Warmest regards... blessings and Good Winter Painting!
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Bruce for your encouraging words. The 'river scene' epic has a long way to go!!!

      Delete